Despite all the age-long deceptions about cannabis, the plant’s benefits by far outweigh its side effects. That is why it is necessary to look at it from a usage, and not an abuse, angle. This way, it will be easy to appreciate and optimize its many benefits, which include health-related ones. In this post, I will discuss the top five ways through which the plant can revolutionize your health. I welcome you to follow our discussion carefully to discover for yourself the many science-backed health benefits of cannabis.
THC May Inhibit Tumor Growth and Prevent Cancer
Cancer, in its multiple forms, is one of the most dreaded diseases in the US and the world over. Despite the much advancement we have made in medical science, cancer remains a leading cause of deaths among Americans of all ages and social classes. However, there is a ray of hope that cannabis’ essential oil could soon be an effective tool for fighting cancer. Studies and tests performed in labs and people show that cannabis oil can reverse the degenerative power of cancer cells. This oil can prevent their division, multiplication, and spreading to other parts of the body. Moreover, the oil is effective when used alongside chemotherapy.
In a study the Complutense University of Madrid conducted, it emerged that the oil can kill brain cancer cells without hurting healthy ones. Even though most of the study results we have came from lab tests, they point to better things in the future. Here is a summary of the positive anticancer effects of the cannabis essential oil:
- It helps to trigger cancer cell death in a process called apoptosis
- It helps to prevent the division of the cells
- It stops new blood vessels from mutating into tumors
- It stops cancerous cells from spreading to and affecting other health body parts
However, these results don’t indicate that essential cannabis oil is a miracle cure for cancer. Here are some of the cancer types the oil can deal with:
- Brain cancer: Glioblastoma multiforme is a fatal form of cancer that affects the brain. Moreover, it is difficult to cure it because of the limited treatment options we have. However, by injecting THC directly into the glioblastoma tumors, the cannabis oil component can stop the growth and multiplication of cancer cells.
- Breast cancer: The oil can also fight and help in the treatment of breast cancer. According to lab tests done on mice, low doses of THC (.5 mg/day) showed significant anti-tumor activities against the cells. The substance slowed the growth, reduced the number of cells, and reduced the number of blood vessels with breast tumor. Moreover, it also inhibited the ErbB2-driven breast cancer by inhibiting Akt and mTOR signaling pathways. But it is necessary to note that THC is only effective in fighting cancer types that harbor cannabinoid receptors. Lastly, THC suppresses anti-tumor immune responses.
- Lung cancer: Also, THC can prevent EGF-caused lung cancer cells from migrating in cell lines. In a survey among people who used THC habitually but without smoking, the component showed no increase in lung cancer cases. However, the consequences of smoking THC could not be ruled out.
- Prostate cancer: Lastly, study results for prostate cancer are still mixed. For instance, some of them show that THC prevents cell growth while others show the opposite. However, more research is still necessary to shed more light on the exact extent of THC’s impact on this type of cancer.
An average American knows that obesity is a serious health challenge in this country. But have you ever figured out how much the country spends on treating obesity and its related conditions? According to different studies, it is estimated that obesity costs the government some $190.2 billion annually. This means that almost 21% of our annual medical expenditure goes to obesity. Moreover, childhood obesity alone costs $14 billion annually in direct medical costs. Moreover, the burden will increase in the next few years as these obese kids grow into obese adults. If these conditions don’t change, then we expect to spend more than $549.5 billion in the next two decades fighting obesity.
Additionally, reports indicate that obese Americans spend $1,500 more each year on health care than those who are not. Beyond the money, thousands of deaths and disabilities result from obesity. That is why Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, the director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, once lamented, “Obesity, and with it diabetes, are the only major health problems that are getting worse in this country, and they are getting worse rapidly.” He also decried the sad fact that the average American is now 23 pounds overweight.
So, how can cannabis help to resolve this epidemic? It should be noted that obesity is an eating disorder, and hence, dealing with one’s insatiable desire for food is a sure way of fighting it. The good news is that cannabis oil can suppress hunger-producing hormones in the body. By helping to curb uncontrolled appetite, cannabis works effectively to fight off obesity.
It Reduces Nausea
Another way that cannabis can positively transform your health is its ability to reduce nausea. That is why this feature is a leading selling point for individuals seeking to improve their health using cannabis. The reason is that it is clinically proven that cannabis can reduce nausea and promote healthy appetite. For instance, one study shows that the University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada) conducted found that manipulating the endocannabinoid system can effectively regulate nausea and vomiting. This manipulation works irrespective of whether they respond to natural stimuli or chemotherapy.
However, the sole drawback of edible cannabis is that it requires at least one and a half hours to show positive results. This means it is not the best bet for sudden abrupt bouts of nausea and vomiting. However, if you know their cycles, cannabis remains an effective tool for curbing these conditions.
Relief for Dravet’s Syndrome
The fourth top way in which cannabis can positively transform your health is relief from Dravet’s Syndrome for those who have it. Cannabis is known to decrease the symptoms of this seizure. In a documentary named “Weed,” Gupta interviewed a family whose 5-year old girl was undergoing medical treatment using a cannabis strain that is rich in cannabidiol and low in THC. In the film, the girl experienced a reduction in the number of her seizures from 300 to once weekly. More commendably, the doctors who recommended the therapy say that the cannabidiol works by interacting with the brain cells to mollify the excessive activities in the brain. Consequently, this reduces the number of seizures.
However, Gupta is quick to point out that the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Drug Enforcement Agency do not approve cannabis as a therapy for Dravet or other seizure disorders. But this current lack of approval does not mean that the plant is ineffective against seizures. Instead, it only indicates a temporary position on the side of these state institutions, and not a shortcoming on the side cannabis’s anti-seizure ability.
Improved Hair Health
We end our coverage on a healthy dimension that blends with beauty. For ladies, this should be sweet music because great hair to them a crown of glory.
Cannabis has great tonic power that helps to keep your hair healthy. Moreover, you don’t need to eat or smoke it to enjoy this benefit. Below are some of the ways through which you can unlock canna-beauty on your head:
- Nourishing the scalp: Cannabis oil is rich in gamma-linoleic acid. This acid is full of nourishing and moisturizing power that keeps your hair glowing and healthy. If you are struggling with dry hair, it can help you to protect your scalp and fight skin conditions like dandruff.
- Stimulating hair growth: For those facing hair thinning problems, there is a ray of hope since cannabis features essential fatty acids responsible for stimulating hair growth. Moreover, these fatty acids add sheen to your hair, thereby, giving it a healthy and shiny look.
- Use it as a shampoo or a hair conditioner: Moreover, you can also add some cannabis oil to your shampoo and use it to treat your hair. The reason is that it contains enough vitamin E necessary for revitalizing and stimulating hair growth. Also, its plenteous fatty acids are enough to let you forego your normal conditioner if you wish to do so.
- Strengthening the hair and follicles: This oil is also rich in protein. This component is essential for healthy hair since hair is essentially composed of proteins. Therefore, it is a great tool for strengthening and revitalizing weak or damaged hair strands. Lastly, cannabis oil can strengthen hair follicles and make it more elastic.
Why Does It Matter?
People have used cannabis for medical purpose for many years. It is a great tool for relieving different medical conditions. Therefore, I discussed the top five ones to inform you about its many health benefits. With these facts at your fingertips, you should be able to make the most of its health-revolutionizing capabilities.
Pete Asmus is not one to let life idly pass him by. GreenZone 360’s CEO gets things done. From motivational speaking and meeting with new business partners to building ninja courses for his kids and advocating for public education on Alopecia. Whether it’s business or family, you’ll find Pete going to MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.